2002 rerecordings of "blizzard of ozz" and "diary of a madman" | The Official Ozzy Osbourne Site

2002 rerecordings of "blizzard of ozz" and "diary of...

i am new here so i don't know if this has been covered here much, but i just discovered this and i am curious to hear other fans opinions. in 2002 sharon erased the drum and bass drum tracks from "blizzard of ozz" and "diary of a madman" and had them rerecorded to avoid paying royalties to bob daisley and lee kerslake. that is almost like trying to alter history and is unforgivable in my eyes, the difference in the originals and new recordings are very noticeable and the 2002 tracks loose the tight and focused sound of a band playing together. from what i understand bob daisley wrote the majority of ozzys songs, but due to the contracts ozzy was given the credit and for twenty five years sharon osbourne has been screwing over the man who was the brains behind ozzys music. that is very disrespectful and sharon makes yoko ono and courtney love look like angels. i would love to hear any other information surrounding this issue or just your opinions on the matter.

Replies

I understand all that, but the point I was trying to relay is right there, maybe read it again, its not difficult...

All I am saying is to make the comment that hes never changed is a bulls*** statement, and I beleive even Ozzy himself would consider it to be as well. I mean come on no one wants to repeat the same album over and over, whats the point in continuing, why not stop after your second or third album then...

--
Peace

Scape

<strong>Ozzy:</strong><cite>"I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy (Rhoads) from getting on that plane." (Ozzy Osbourne, Guitar World Issue 37, 2000)
</cite>

there was nothing insulting about what i said
you totaly missed my point.

--
When it's all boiled down and the day's at an end
I'll give you no bulls*** and I'll never pretend

I disagree totally, his music has changed, and to say other wise means your deaf, dumb or mute in my opinion, for crying out load I love the guy as much as anybody, but f***in stop being such a brain dead fan boy! And consider how insulting that comment would be to Ozzy, oh hey by the way your music for the last three decades sounds exactly the same, no variations, no straying from the safe and comfortable path you have always taken. I mean come on Black rain don't sound anything like his last two albums, BR is so different in the fact that it was for Ozzy a weak ass attempt at sounding a bit industrial, and I didn't enjoy it much, and I am not alone when you look at the sales of it. So like I said stop with the mindless fan boy chatter, it only ends up sounding like your not a genuine Ozzy fan at all....

As always to each his own, but I was there when he did blizzard, and have been there all the way up to BR, and the music and Ozzy's sound has changed my friends, period, its a cold hard fact!

End of debate!

--
Peace

Scape

<strong>Ozzy:</strong><cite>"I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy (Rhoads) from getting on that plane." (Ozzy Osbourne, Guitar World Issue 37, 2000)
</cite>

ozzy is ozzy and has been the same ozzy since day one and so has his music

why are we ponting out actions from the better half?
ill tell you, mine makes sharon look like an angle. lol
woman...what can you do?

I concur brother, I concur!
--
Peace

Scape

</cite>

hey, scapegoat if you are curious i am 25 and i have been listening to metal since i was twelve. i was not aware that it was ozzy that had sharon turn iron maidens power back on. sharons antics there were beyond juvenille. regardless if bruce dickinson was being mean or not kids paid a lot of money to see all of these bands perform, not just ozzy. so buy sabotaging iron maidens set you are screwing over fans who paid to see them and ruining your own event. i am glad to know that ozzy stood up for the nonsense though, because i think i would call iron maiden my favorite band.

i don't mind one cover song on an album if that is a way to show respect to a band or to let the listener know the bands influences. the one thing i can never stand is recording a cover song and releasing it as your single. if you want to sell your band or your album to me i want to know what your band can produce not something i have heard before. cover albums are an absolute joke, there is no reason for them, def leppard and queensryche did them recently. that just means to me they ran out of money or needed to fill a contract and couldn't come up with any original ideas on time.

anything black sabbath recorded between 1970 and 1975 will never get old to listen to, later.

No need to thank me bro, I am here for all the right reasons, if I wanted juvenile name calling, and constant profanity I would go to a chat room instead. The main reason I am here is for what you delivered, and that was a good point of discussion. As a long time Ozzy fan, and a life long hard core metal fan, I love nothing more than to hear what others do, or do not like about Ozzy, or the music scene as a whole.

I am unsure of your age big guy so I am only guessing that maybe we are fairly close in age, if so your not really any different than the most of us in that age category, and if your younger then your simply wise beyond your years, lol.

As for Sharon ya I am not real happy with her pimping him out the way she tends to do, but as someone said here at the forum a while back, if Ozzy really gets it in his head that he isn’t going to do something then you can pretty much bank on the fact he will speak out and tell Sharon to piss off. For example when Sharon shut down the power to Iron Maidens show, it was Ozzy that jumped her ass and told her to put the power back on, and informed her that it was complete horse s*** what she had done, and that if she had a grievance with the guys of maiden she could take care of it after the show. So right there we can see that if Ozzy gets enough of her s*** he will pop a cork on her ass, after all this is the guy that once about choked her to death, lol!

As a fellow musician I agree 100% on writing your own material, I am extremely anti-cover, and would rather be beat with a crowbar than to be in a cover band! As you I also tend to respect those bands or artists that write all their own material, but its not a clear-cut must for me. Of course I do love and enjoy bands that I know have had out side help, so I just take it as it comes at me, if its good then its good by damn it, and that goes for all ages, and all jondra's of music.

As for getting jaded with some of those old Ozzy tunes, brother your not alone, I could go a long, long time without ever hearing Crazy Train, or Goodbye to Romance, or Flying High. As for me and my favorite songs from Ozzy, the songs that will never get old or die for me are the following. Revelation Mother Earth, Believer, Diary of a Madman, Mr. Crowley, and lets not forget to include that I love almost any of the original Sabbath catalog, only minus of course paranoid & ironman. As for the rest of them I can still crank em up when I hear them. Lets take symptom of a universe for example, how can one not want to crank that one up when ya hear it my brother!

lmao!

Later bro, and don’t freak out your not as alone on some of these issues as you may think you are, and no matter what just keep in mind that Ozzy is one of the founding forefathers of all modern heavy f***in metal, so he has earned his place in music history, or so I think anyway....

Peace Scape..........

--
Peace

Scape

</cite>

hey scapegoat thank you for your intelligent defense of ozzy. that is about all i wanted. i was expected someone to throw up smokesceens and cusswords and tear me apart, but you responded respectfully. i want to make clear that i will always love his music but i have more respect for bands and artists who can write their own material, elvis who? i think a songwriter is very overlooked and an underrated talent. it is the busines practices and ethics that seem to surround ozzy that drive me crazy, and it seems that the finger can be pointed to sharon for all of this. it's a guess but she probably does a lot of these things we spoke of earlier while he has no idea what is going on because he is doped up on pain medicine the whole time.

on another completly differnet note, i can't explain why but probably his most famous song is my least favorite. maybe i have heard "crazy train" way too many times, maybe non metal fans claim to love it, maybe everyone else loves so i don't. that song just gets on my nerves sometimes.

i have been negative a lot so i'll list my favorite songs if your curious: Mr. crowley, over the mountain, diary of a madman, killer of giants, no more tears, mama i'm coming hime, perry mason, walk on water

Well as for Ozzy having out side help, or writers with his music, what does that have to do with him as a performer, or a singer? For example and I have used this one before lets take Elvis, one of Americas most beloved rock icons, if not thee American rock icon, it is a well known fact that he wrote very little of his own material, in fact he was notorious for doing mostly covers of other peoples songs. So my question is this, did that make him any less of a musician, an artist? I think the obvious answer is no, why? Because you can be handed the most awesome piece of written music ever but if you don't have what it takes to deliver it, in fact maybe even improve upon it, then the song will be nothing but a big steaming pile of bulls***!

So Ozzy having help in the past, or even in the present has no bearing on what I think of him or his talent, or there the lack of??? Its Ozzy that puts his soul, his touch on it, just as there is no one that can duplicate a Iommi solo or riff 100%, although some do come close in the end there is only one Tony Iommi, just as there is only one Ozzy f***in Osbourne, period!

As for my being prejudice, I don't think I am really, I love Ozzy, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he has done creatively. In fact I have not been all that blown away by anything he has done since speak of the devil. Now I am not saying I haven't enjoyed 3 or 4 songs off all those albums that came after, but as far as loving an entire albums worth from beginning to end, well I last experienced that with diary, as far as all new & original material, not sabbath covers...

I think some people have lost site of the man Ozzy Osbourne, hes gotten older now, hes so much more wealthier than he was before, and his voice isn't what it once was. So it appears to me that just like with sports if a guy isn't batting 110 percent then lets kick the s*** out of him, its simply the front runner mentality is all that s*** is, and it is getting really f***in old, in fact it flat pisses me the f*** off to be completely honest.

Its like this, Ozzy is a f***ing legend, he was a part of something magical with sabbath, him and the rest of those guys created an entire new jondra of music, even if there had never been a solo f***in Ozzy Osbourne all need to give him credit where credit is due. I mean give me a break here, were not talking about some nobody, this is the guy who has given everything he has to his fans, was it always perfect? Was it always brilliant? Well hell no it hasn't been, but at least the guy keeps on trying, he has heart, and he has soul, and to me that is all reflected in a big majority of his work!

So as a 41 year old man now, and having watched a majority of Ozzy's solo career play out, I can say I am for the most part proud of him, and I am grateful he still enjoys what he does enough to keep getting back up there and giving it another try, because I am intelligent enough to know that Ozzy hasn't needed to work this late in his life, that its painfully obvious that its not all strictly about money, for f*** sake he could have called it stops a long, long time ago, and just lived off all merchandising of his name alone..

My advice is wake up my friend, because if anyone is in any real danger of being prejudice, it may in fact be you!

Later bro!

--
Peace

Scape

</cite>

first thing is that i love ozzy's music, mostly with black sabbath. but i doubt i change anyones mind or opinions here on this forum. the people here are mostly hardcore fans and already have their minds made up. they will never listen to both sides of the story. nothing can change their opinions of ozzy no matter what has been done. to most people here ozzy will always be the greatest and he could do no wrong. i still like his music, now when i listen to it though i have to question his talent and songwriting abilities.

Exactly shortass!

--
Peace

Scape

</cite>

Daisley said that he write most of those songs on those albums. But in an 1982 interview with Randy that was put out by Guitar world in 2004 randy said that it was ozzy and him. Daislely is the worlds bigest d***head anyway that is just pissed off becuse at that time there was not alot of money to go around. he was been a dick about it he didnt want to be there he was only after the big money now he is crying like a baby becuse the osboures have lots of money now. f*** him. in the ablums bookelts it has that the drums and bass have been redone. The Bark at the moon 2002 Cd sounds like a hole new album then the one that came out in 1983 !

I agree with you there Scot, 100% in fact.

I remember when they did all that, but I already owned those albums so I wasn't in the market for buying them again, so it didn't affect me directly. As for Sharon doing it as an effort to avoid the paying of royalties to Daisley and Kerslake, that I am unsure of, it appears to be that way, its does seem a little suspicious an all, but at the same time it seems stupid on Ozzy's and Sharon's part to do something like that knowing all the time that Daisley didn't sign on for royalties, that there was never a contract, and even though word of mouth is sometimes enough to hold someone accountable, very often in a court of law it doesn’t mean s***.

So I am confused as to why the Osbourne team would think they needed to go and do something like that, remixing the old albums and eliminating Daisley and Kerslake altogether. I think it may have been more of a oh well f*** you we'll just remove you from any future issues of those two albums, again I don't know, and as we all know Sharon can get a little juvenile from time to time with her antics, note the iron maiden escapade.

As for me I will never own the remix versions, there is no improving, or fixing the original releases of those two, hands down very pinnacle albums, not in just Ozzy's career, but the entire music industry as a whole. So being an Ozzy fan first & foremost I personally don’t care what the reasons were, as long as the original versions are still available I simply look at it as an alternate version to buy, if indeed the need hits one to do so.

Personally I don’t look at it as an unforgivable sin on Ozzy or Sharon’s part, after all it’s his music, if he wants to rip every copy of the originals off their shelves and replace them all with an all tuba instrumental version, then oh f***in well! God forbid that would ever happen, but you get my point.

In the end those albums are his baby's so let him do with them as he wishes….

Oh and as for Ozzy not noting that those albums were remix versions, that I don’t get either and it obviously bite them in the ass doing so. In the end I personally think its kind of neat having alternate versions around, if for no other reason than it gives one a better aspect / idea of just how special that original line up was and the real magic of those two albums, and that there will never, ever be anyone outside of the original members that can duplicate the doing of all that.

Also bro I have never personally ever heard any of those alternate versions, and I am sure I would know if I had, so as far as I am concerned no harm really done, except maybe to Daisley and Kerslake’s pride, and that’s about the sum of it all if you ask me....

Peace bro!

--
Peace

Scape

</cite>

if daisley and kerslake were pricks and they are getting what hey deserve or earned that is fine, but there is still one thing that is unforgivable. they managed to put out "blizzard of ozz" and "diary of a madman" which are two outstanding albums. now in 2002 to possibly avoid having to pay any royalties sharon erases the bass and drum tracks and has them rerecorded by new musicians. these reissues did not come out notifying buyers of the changes which is unfair to your fans. when they are purchasing the albums they are expecting to buy the classic versions they have been hearing and they are basically tricked into buying these inferior versions. you can't change history and you should never disrespect your fans like that.

The are some interviews in that new Randy Rhoads Guitar Legends magazine from a couple months ago. It really explains how much of dicks Daisley and Kerslake were before leaving the band.

"Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake did nothing but complain from day one." - Ozzy

As for the original albums, I think that they are the better of the two recordings, in other words you can’t beat the original blizzard of oz line up...

As for Mr.Daisley, yes he did write a big portion of those songs on both Blizzard & Diary, however as for the royalties owed to him???

Well he was given an opportunity at the time of recording those albums to have a due portion of the royalties, but instead insisted on signing on per diem, I believe this to be truthful in fact mostly due to the actuality that you have to understand Ozzy really didn't have the money to afford paying the band for each & every performance, it would have been a much better situation for Ozzy to have been able to just allow each musician a piece of the pie, but Daisley passed and instead wanted paid per show, per recording.

The thing is Ozzy after having been kicked out of Sabbath was nearly piss ass broke, mostly due to Sharon’s father Don Arden’s management of the band, in fact the band Black Sabbath got shafted out of countless amounts of money and finances, and it hasn’t been but in these later years that the guys of Sabbath have been able to actually make a profit from the sale of those albums.

So Ozzy had next to nothing when he an Sharon set out to do Ozzy’s solo career, in fact they traveled like a band of gypsies in a Winnebago, living from gig to gig, so for those given factors I believe Mr. Daisley was offered the opportunity to get his fair share of royalties, but like a real f***in cheese dick he didn’t believe enough in Osbourne’s career & that it would take off, in other words he figured he better get while the gettin was good, his mistake, not Ozzy’s, not anyone’s but Mr. Daisley’s.

As for Sharon & Ozzy’s business practices, hey I know that Ozzy loves what he is doing, but give me a break he is also in this to make f***in money, and to pass, or ignore the opportunity to not do so only makes him look like an ass, so even though I may not agree with everything that especially Sharon cooks up for Ozzy to do, doesn’t make her the Antichrist, or the “scapegoat” for everything that one doesn’t think is a good or practical idea for Osbourne's business or music career..

So that’s my thoughts on it all, yours may differ, ya it definitely seems to differ, and I am not sure if this will make a difference, but what the hell I figure you may have a different outlook after knowing the whole story, instead of that of some so called has been, that if he is such a great f***ing artist then why haven’t I heard anything so spell binding or magnificent since those first two initial Osbourne solo albums?? I mean why is it that if it wasn’t for his participation on those two albums I wouldn’t of even known who the f*** Bob Daisley was in the first place! If you ask me he was a greedy, in it for the money a**hole, that didn’t believe enough in what he and Osbourne were doing, so f*** him, and his so called brilliant music career!

--
Peace

Scape

</cite>

the reissues only!!!

--
misfit66

--its true....the only original member on blizzard and diary besides ozzy, is randy
misfit66